25 August 2008

#16 Zoho Writer experiment

I am writing this post using Zoho Writer. It has quite powerful features and I would like to experiment with it. I have been using Google Docs and found that a convenient way of always having access to your documents - I used to either email documents or carry discs/memory sticks around. It looks like it saves your work automatically although it is not as obvious as with Google Docs. Google Docs is not as feature rich as Zoho Writer. The fact that you can import Word documents make this very versatile. I wonder if you can create a document and export it as a Word document. (You can do that with Google Docs, which is very convenient.) I am impressed by ZohoShow the presentation application - I still have to use the Google presentation application so that I can compare the two. The only complaint I have is that it is another account to open and use, but if it proves worthwhile I might switch to Zoho Writer.

One thing that bothered me was when I signed up using either my Google or Yahoo account Zoho Writer ask to have access to my contacts and data in the accounts. I felt very uncomfortable with that and denied permission with the result I couldn't sign up that way. When I signed up from scratch there was no such intrusive action, although I gave my Web 2.0 programme's gmail address to sign up. But any case, here I am now typing away on this blog post and am quite intriged by Zoho Writer.

I also looked at the other web-based applications. Thinkfree also looks good although it is not free. I don't understand what gOffice is about and at this stage don't have the time or interest to have a closer look at it. Up until now Google docs has served the purpose and now that I have a Zoho account I might use that for a while to see if it worth having two accounts. The sharing funtion (for both Google doc and Zoho writer) is very useful for collaboration.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

This is Ahmed from Zoho.

Thanks for giving Zoho Writer a go and glad that you liked the overall experience.

You can export Zoho Writer documents in Word(.doc) as well as Word 2007(.docx) formats. Other formats supported are .pdf, .html, .txt and .odt (openoffice). The "Export" option is present in the first row of the editor toolbar next to "Email" option.

As for the issue regarding signing up with Google/Yahoo! account, please refer to the help url for getting started with it - http://zoho.com/sso-help.html#gy1. If you have any further concerns then kindly shoot an email to support@zohoaccounts.com. We will be addressing them soon.

Warm Regards,
Ahmed
http://zoho.com

Webtraveller said...

Thank you for the information. I didn't understand why access was sought, but after reading the help page it makes more sense.