21 July 2008

#7 Exploring feeds (1)

I have set up a Bloglines account some time ago and found it a wonderful tool to keep up to date with websites I am interested in. It's like making your own web magazine with websites you are interested in - quick and easy.

But a word of warning: There are so much to look at that it is easy to suffer from information overload. When I first discovered feed subscription I subscribed to a whole slew of sites - everything from library related blogs, general news feeds, gardening, crafts, etc. It quickly lead to information overload, which is a common occurence in the beginning when exploring new resources. The antidote: delete, delete and delete again!! Now I only have subscriptions to websites that I really want to watch and I bookmarked the other blogs that I read whenever I want to catch up.

One of the features that is useful in Bloglines is that you can mark a post/article that you want to keep new (or on the list). (Once you clicked on the link on your 'playlist' Bloglines assumes you have read the posts/articles of listed. So when you close that list the articles are deleted from the list.) By marking the Keep it new box, the article will still be there the next time you check that link. It's like having an online clippings file. There are other ways of making an online clippings file, but this is a handy way of making a temporary one.


1 comment:

NSL Training Support Team said...

Some very useful comments in this post, especially the one about overload...